the only thing better than getting a fabulous gift, is giving one. I like to categorize my recipients into categories, just to make shopping less stressful. There is nothing worse than making aimless circles around the mall trying to figure out where to shop for who. I always make lists (who me? ha!) to stay organized, and obviously arm myself with a ton of caffeine. Historically, my shopping gets split into two days, but online shopping may be the way to go this year to avoid the crowds.
As some of you may have read in my previous posts (like this one and that one), food is in my blood and many of my close relatives are equally as, if not more, skilled in the kitchen as yours truly. Shopping for like-minded individuals is always fun because it’s like shopping for yourself, except you get to share it with someone else. The other good thing about foodie gifts? You get to share them with your loved ones at your next meal together!
Here is a list of some of the coolest kitchen gadgets for your foodie friends this holiday season, and they are all under $50!
1. Griddle Pan: these are great for those of you who – like me – don’t know/like to operate an outdoor grill. They are such an easy clean-up, and so convenient for cold weather months when you want some lean grilled meat.
2. Garlic Zoom: This was a gift I received last year and it has made my life – and my meals – so much easier!! There is no worse occupational hazard for a chef than the lingering smell of onion or garlic on the hands, even after washing your hands a million times. This little gadget swiftly and safely chops garlic, shallots, and onions (in small doses) without getting your hands covered in the putrid smell. These are also dishwasher safe, and super easy to store.
3. Four-in-One Avocado Tool: I only just stumbled across this gem, but canNOT wait to gift it to someone. This isn’t even limited to foodies, anyone who eats avocado on the reg (Californians, Mexican Food addicts, vegetarians, ME!) will find this tool to be really useful.
4. Corn Stripper: This has got to be one of the most unusual kitchen gadgets I have come across, but I eat a lot of corn in the summer, so I am a fan. Corn is such a yummy summer treat, but getting all that corn string stuff in your teeth is the pits. Fear not friends, the corn stripper exists and can be yours!
5. Palm Peeler: This nifty little guys make peeling far less tedious. They fit like a ring, and get the peeling job done lickety split!
6. Cookbook stand & protector: If you like to try a lot of recipes, this gift will surely help you preserve those cookbooks. There is no bigger bummer than revisiting a successful recipe to find your pages plastered together by a weird mix of wet ingredients – ick!
7. Digital Measuring Cup: I typically eyeball most of my liquid measurements, but that has bitten me in the butt on a select few baking recipes. This digital measuring cup makes it easy, calculating measurements down to the decimal. This also doubles as a scale, two-for-one!
8. Mini Food Processor: These are one of the biggest kitchen staples I can think of. I don’t have one (yet!), but these little guys can whip together anything from salsa to hummus, soup to nuts. This is a dream come true for those of you who enjoy making your own sauces, spreads and appetizers.
9. Non-stick Rice Cooker: This is a godsend! I always burn my rice, so having this pre-timed, easy-to-clean, little assistant of sorts is just lovely. All you do is add rice and water, press a button, and wait.